Summer is high moving season. If you have an option, don’t wait until the summer to move. Most movers will offer an ‘off-peak price break’ should you move in the off-season. Keep in mind that the first and last weeks of the month are extra -busy for all movers, no matter what time of the year you elect to move.
- Before you move, ELIMINATE WHAT YOU DON’T WANT OR NEED.
- If you haven’t used in over a year, and it isn’t a valuable family heirloom, your probably don’t need it.
- DO NOT apply wax or protective coating to your furniture before the move.
- A pad or a blanket can leave marks in the finish that may not come out later.
- KEEP YOUR BOXES LIGHT AND MANAGEBLE.
- Be careful not to overload the cartons. If you cannot lift the carton easily, it is too heavy! Keep the weight of a single box to under 50 pounds. Do not pack all your books in one big carton.
- USE APPROPRIATE CARTONS WHEN PACKING.
- This will go a long way towards ensuring your goods arrive safely. Please note that plastic trash bags are not appropriate cartons under any circumstances.
- USE APPROPRIATE PADDING WHEN PACKING YOUR BOXES.
- Do not skimp on packing paper or bubble wrap. As a general rule of thumb, when in doubt, use more cushion than less.
- DISHES SHOULD BE PACKED VERTICALLY, IN DISH BARRELS.
- Do stack your dishes in a box under any circumstances. As a general rule, you should only expect to fit about the equivalent of four place settings in one dish pack. If you have more than that in the box, you have not used enough padding .
- DO NOT PACK YOUR FRAGILE ITEMS IN THE SAME CARTON AS HEAVY OR BULKY ITEMS.
- MARK YOUR BOXES CLEARLY WITH THEN NAME OF THE ROOM IN WHICH YOU WOULD LIKE EACH CARTON PLACED.
- This will greatly speed up the unloading at your new home. You may also wish to make an inventory of what items are in each specific box to help you quickly unpack and find crucial items in your new home.
- UNPLUG ALL TELEVISIONS AND COMPUTERS 24 HOURS BEFORE THE MOVE.
- CARRY YOUR VALUABLES (jewelry, furs, money, etc.) and necessary medications with you.
- The mover is not responsible for these items.